Friday, March 4, 2011

The Gout

One of the challenges of being an American acupuncturist is that some conditions have uniquely modern characteristics -- for instance, exposure to exotic environmental toxins. However, toxins are toxins, and Chinese medicine has many approaches available for dealing with different sorts of toxic conditions. You may have to adjust techniques as new toxins show up, but the underlying principles are spelled out in the Chinese classics of medicine.

A greater challenge may lie in dealing with conditions that especially affect individuals from certain geographic or ethnic populations. Sickle cell anemia and thalassemia spring to mind as conditions that are known to disproportionately affect certain populations, but other conditions also seem to affect specific populations. Multiple sclerosis, for instance, seems to be strongly associated with people of western European descent, especially those who live in northern latitudes.

And then there's The Gout. In central Pennsylvania there's lots of gout -- it is usually capitalized and is always preceded by the honorific, The. The Gout traditionally had an almost comic association, because it was typically overweight, red-faced, self-indulgent people who got it, and when they were suffering an attack, their suffering was operatic. Nowadays there seems to be a new class of gout sufferer, though -- although uric acid levels may be high, they aren't necessarily high enough to meet the threshold for classic gout. Maybe we are more sensitive, or maybe some genetic change has occurred, but none of the gout sufferers I have known are particularly red-faced or overweight, although indulgence in gout-triggering food and drink must be confessed.

As far as I can tell, though, gout doesn't really exist in Asia. This may be because the foods which are said to be the irritating factor in gout -- beer, wine, chocolate, coffee, smoked meats and organ meats, as well as foods rich in purines (beans, oily fish, nightshades) -- aren't as widely consumed in the East as they are in the West. Or it may have something to do with differences in genetic make-up. The Gout is said to have a pretty strong hereditary component, and if there is limited intermarriage between geographically separated groups, it's easy to see how different groups might inherit different conditions. As we move around and intermarry more these "ethnic" conditions will become more universal, but for now, gout hardly seems to exist in the East and there is practically nothing in the Chinese medical literature about how to treat it. Since it is a very painful and somewhat mysterious condition, it is something that an American acupuncturist can expect to see in his or her patients.

I certainly saw quite a few gout sufferers in my early years of practice, and it was pretty clear that I wasn't able to do a damn thing for them and their gout. Believe me, all healthcare practitioners keep internal score of what they are pretty effective at dealing with and what they are not very effective at dealing with. They don't usually advertise their score, but they know what it is. And I knew that I was getting my butt kicked by The Gout.

Then I got it. Both my brothers had it, and being native Texans, beans, beer and barbeque were like mother's milk to us. Although, by the luck of the draw, it was a coffee binge that put me over the top and brought on my first bout of The Gout. There was no mistaking it -- it was like the comic book version of The Gout, or The Gout for Dummies. I awoke out of a dead sleep at 1:30 in the morning in a feverish sweat, my right big toe joint (bunion) consumed with a throbbing, hammering and unbearable pain. I don't remember how I got through that first night, but by daylight I had begun to try to think of a way to treat myself with acupuncture. And really, feeling such an intense, specific pain, it was pretty clear what had to be done.

Throbbing, fixed and intense pain is, in Chinese terms, blood stagnation. The easiest, most direct way to move stagnant blood is by bleeding. So I had to get a thick needle and stab myself right in one of the most exquisite pains I had ever felt until I drew a few drops of blood. From a remove it sounds pretty bad, but as any sufferer of The Gout will tell you, at the height of an attack you are ready to use coyote medicine -- that is, if we were more flexible and had sharper teeth, a fair number of us would just chew the toe off and be done with it. I had the flexibility but not the teeth, and I also wanted to come up with a modality that I could use on my patients. So I got a short, stiff needle, screwed up my nerve and went: stab,stab,stab,stab,stab,stab,stab!!!

Boy, did it hurt. But also, almost immediately after a few drops of very dark blood (confirming the stagnant blood diagnosis) appeared, I felt the fever break and the throbbing begin to ebb away. It took several days for the attack to resolve -- my toe remained tender for weeks after that first attack, and I remain vulnerable to subsequent attacks (I've had three or four in four years). I have become skittish about the offending food and liquor groups, but see it more as a difficult balancing act than as a lifelong responsibility to deny myself some of the things that, for me, define pleasure. Those TV commercials for The Gout medicine that show a shlub carrying a beaker of green fluid are very evocative for me, but more as a metaphor for keeping your balance (and grace) while carrying around a fragile and unsightly burden than as a metaphor for the need to adjust your chemistry.

Which brings us to a big difference between the way that western and eastern medicine understand, and treat, The Gout. Western allopathic medicine describes gout as a build up of uric acid in the blood which precipitates into the joints, especially the proximal big toe joint, via an incompletely understood pathway. Uric acid is typically excreted in the urine, and so gout is associated with the kidneys and bladder. However, in Chinese terms the meridian which is almost always affected, at the medial side of the big toe, is the spleen meridian. How can one reconcile the western, scientific explanation of a uric acid condition with the Chinese concept of the spleen meridian?

Although there is not perfect translation of even basic physiological functions between western and eastern understandings of the internal organs, it is widely assumed that the Chinese concept of the spleen primarily encompasses the functions of the western pancreas. The Chinese spleen, like the western pancreas, is the primary organ of digestion, but unlike the pancreas, the spleen also has a primary role to play in the formation of blood. Furthermore, as one of the organs associated with the earth element, the spleen is said to be involved with boundaries. The spleen is also said to dislike dampness.

Working backwards: relief being provided by bleeding at the spleen meridian (spleen 1 - 4 area) indicates blood stagnation associated with the spleen; the spleen is responsible for beginning the process of making blood, dislikes dampness and is associated with boundaries; over-indulgence in damp or yin-intensive foods (beer, wine, beans, shellfish, organ meat) contribute to gout. So what western medicine describes as uric acid crystals which are formed through some dysfunction of the kidneys and/or bladder, Chinese medicine would describe as a damp blood accumulation associated with a weak or over-taxed spleen. Among other things, this provides some possible explanation for a long-known but little-understood fact about The Gout -- cherries and cherry juice seem to be helpful for preventing gout flare-ups. In Chinese medicine, pit fruits (especially cherries), growing in the Summer, the fire element season, and being red, the fire element color, are especially good for the function of the heart, the internal organ associated with the fire element. I previously said that the spleen initiates the process of creating blood, but the second stage, which finalizes the process, occurs in the heart. Furthermore, under certain circumstances the heart has the ability to vaporize phlegm, a particularly sticky and dense form of dampness. Perhaps cherry juice increases the heart's ability to vaporize phlegm before it stagnates in the blood. By the way, the heart meridian flows from the armpit to the little finger. Sometimes if gout is not resolved at the big toe, it next affects the little finger, lateral wrist and sometimes the elbow.

So both western and eastern medicine see The Gout as an accumulation. Western medicine looks at the internal, chemical processes, comes up with an explanation for gout's mechanism and creates chemicals to counteract that mechanism. Even though it is my western eyes looking through an eastern lens, Chinese concepts lead to an observation of the typical external sites and character of the pain, ties those observations to phenomena observed to be associated with the condition (purines bad; cherries good) and comes up with a different explanation and a different approach to treatment. Both treatment approaches (allopurinal and colchicine in the West; bleeding the site of the pain in the East) are effective.

How to make sense of both?

19 comments:

  1. Celery seed is an excellent preventive, once you've recovered from an acute attack. Read what the medicinal botanist James Duke has to say about it. He knows this personally, as he had a very difficult time with gout until he learned this from a shaman in Central America. Once he began his daily celery seed, he was able to drink as much wine as he wanted, etc etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you don't have kidney problems you cannot use celery seed if you do

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would suggest that before anyone follow any advice posted on a health blog, they should have a clear idea of their health situation, and what might or might not be risky substances for them to ingest. Many gout remedies are, essentially, natural diuretics, so if you have any sort of kidney condition you would want to proceed with care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. shots of turmeric or chewing on a chunk takes my gout away quickly. It calms the inflammation & cleanses the liver and kidneys. I am an acupuncturist. Also needling around the thumb joint that mirror images the big toe take the pain away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't tried either, and both make good sense. I'll try both the next time I have an attack (shudder...) and will report back on my response.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turmeric lemon juice and cherries or syrup from cherries made into a drink helps me. But I think renin deficiency is also a culprit in addition to lack of vitamin D

    I'm a female 64 and brought this on myself by protein dieting when I was 57 Now I get it for nothing :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know nothin' 'bout no renin. Please say more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that renin, managed by the kidneys, is deficient in gout sufferers. I was reading a ton of stuff on my iPhone while lying in bed when I posted this, including this forum, so I did not bookmark it but you can search on it.

      A few weeks ago I got a sore foot after coming down with the flu. The joint was not red and you could not tell from outside that it was sore, but it was sore for quite a while until I started force feeding myself the cherry juice, celery seed, turmeric and lemon juice mixed with V-8.

      An amazing thing happened. The foot got b
      etter very fast but I think the 'purge' of my kidneys made the uric acid have to go somewhere so it cause the OTHER foot to flare up with the red joint. I continued the treatment and this lasted amazingly for only a few days and then it went away faster than anything I'd ever had before.

      I am not a junk food eater, (mediterranean diet all my life) don't use sugar, table salt, or butter, just olive oil. I love grass fed meats, fish, seafood, all veggies and fruits, and don't eat any processed wheat products or flour products save for a bit of macaroni when I have sauce (which is acid going in, but alkaline in your kidneys so it's good for you) So it puzzles me as to why I have this except for the fact I work on computers all day and like most Americans I am overweight. I hate bread except for once in a while a sandwich on an Italian 'panootsie'

      It started when I was 57 and went on an all protein diet and worked out each day. I lost 30 lbs but my BP went up so it must have been a strain on my kidneys. I had it several times before I even realized I hadn't just bumped my toe on something.

      I have 122/78 BP (so long as I'm not having an attack) and I should start walking again.

      Turmeric can be hard on your stomach so mix it in with something.. I put it with sweet potatoes mashed up with a bit of celery seed and cumin and olive oil. I also find the cherry syrup to be very refreshing mixed with pure water and ice as it is pure cherries and tart - no fructose.

      Even as I lay in bed last night, I felt the circulation in my legs and feet to feel better. There really is something to the benefits of these East Indian spices I believe!



      Delete
    2. OH yeah and I love coffee, but that is not a cause... it simply helps dehydrate you so be sure to take your juice first and drink water all day and before bed. Yeah you'll have to get up in the night to pee, but it's worth it to keep things hydrated.

      I've had four attacks just since January 2013 so I know from whence I speak.

      Delete
    3. Hm. I'll read up on renin, but as as an acupuncturist practicing classical Chinese medicine, I still have to translate the scientific concept of "renin" into some sort of Chinese energetic analogue.

      As for coffee, it very plainly brought on my first gout attack, and is listed in various places as a known trigger for gout flares.

      Delete
  8. This could explain why the BP shoots WAY up (in my case it went to 160/100) during a severe attack where fever is present.

    http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/ren-related-kidney-disease

    This may not be as rare as they think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gout sufferer with daily flares from hands to feet and everything between. Livin on steroids. Uric.acid levels normal last 8 months. Tried every med known. Wonderin if acupuncture would do anything, or any other eastern treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As an acupuncturist and gout sufferer, I would say, "Yes." However, the treatment I have found to be useful is painful to do, and everyone who has never had acupuncture always wants to know, "Does it hurt?" Usually you can truthfully answer, "No," but to move the stagnant blood associated with gout invariably involves needling right where the gout pain resides, and as you can imagine, it hurts. However, it can break the cycle, and as you're "livin on steroids," "with daily flares," I would guess that a little pain that breaks the cycle you're stuck in would be a reasonable trade-off. Tell your acupuncturist to move stagnant blood in the SP meridian, bleeding SP8, SP4, SP3 and SP1. This is unusual, but is what I've found to be effective. You can also look above at some of the other things I've tried, or some of the other people's suggestions. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just ran across this blig, any updates on any of the suggestions in this blog, celery, celery seed, renin, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Updates on suggestions? Eat right and get some exercise if you can.

    I started to reply to this, looked up and an hour is gone and I don't have the response done yet.

    I'll follow up in the next few days. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Trey, I appreciate all suggestions above...I experience chronic gout w/edema in one ankle (very stubborn)..w/the bursa irritated I am hesitant to 'bleed'; any suggestions w/method of blood-letting, points for me (greater area than just Spleen channel)? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Shell -- Which bursa is irritated? The one surrounding the bunion? If so, even though it does seem kind of dodgy to stick a needle right into an irritated, even inflamed joint, it is actually appropriate and somewhat likely to help calm the irritation. If the edema is at the site of the inflamed bursa, that might be a different matter, mostly because the edematous fluids may leak and so leave a pathway for infection, or at least a mess. Specific points I needle on the spleen meridian are: SP1, SP2, SP3, SP4 and SP8. I also bleed LR2 sometimes. You can use a lancet or a thick (purple Seirin) needle -- I wouldn't recommend a plum blossom hammer, as each strike will hurt like crazy and not cause much bleeding. You only want to get a drop at each site, but it might take ten or twelve blows with the plum blossom to get a single tiny drop of blood, and you'll be crying with the last 8 blows. I use a purple Seirin ear needle -- I psych myself up, then go jab, jab, jab, jab! Usually tears are in my eyes by the last jab, but I also usually have a nice fat drop of very dark (stagnant) blood, too. Re-reading your query, it looks like your gout is in your ankle, along with the edema..? If that's the case, then these points should all be safe to try, as they are away from the ankle region. Please let me know if this doesn't answer your question!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so very much for your suggestions.

      Onward tally ho!

      Delete