Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Welcome to An American Acupuncturist

Welcome!

Trey Casimir L.Ac. here. I was born in Texas, raised in Pennsylvania and received my acupuncture training in New York City. I have been licensed for 10 years and have been in private practice for that entire time. I have spoken and written about acupuncture and Chinese medicine many times in the last ten years, but have been seeking a broader audience and an expanded format. Therefore this blog.

I intend to write posts on basic concepts of Chinese medicine, to describe interesting case histories and to respond to questions you may have, about either general or specific topics. Most of all, I hope to begin a dialogue with patients, other acupuncturists and other healthcare practitioners about what it means to be a modern, science-loving practitioner of an ancient, decidedly non-scientific form of healing. How are Chinese medical principles universal, and how are they rooted in a particular time and place that may not always be easy to translate to other times and other places?

I have had many excellent teachers over the past 30 years and would like to acknowledge them, both to pay my respects and to give you some idea of my background and training. I have to start with my friend Elisa King. Although she is a dancer, dance teacher and choreographer rather than a healer, her influence started me trusting non-literal, non-linear reality. She also browbeat me into going to White Cloud Studio, which is where my training as a healer began in earnest. Juliu Horvath and Hilary Cartwright were the co-owners of the studio, and each of them taught me priceless lessons about yoga, healing and life. I was extremely lucky to get into the Swedish Institute's short-lived Acupuncture program as a member of their second class. The academic dean at the time was Sheila George, M.D., L.Ac., but the program's main teacher and driving force was Jeffrey Yuen. Jeffrey is known in the Chinese medical community as a once in a lifetime teacher with an encyclopedic knowledge of classical Chinese medical schools of thought, and I was extremely fortunate to be able to study with him. My other teachers were no slouches, either, and I would especially like to mention Francesca Biryukov, Edith Lee, Urayoana Trinidad, Sheila Mason and John Katomski as people whose words still ring in my ears. Finally, although she wasn't one of my formal teachers, Frania Zins, P.T. and Feldenkrais practitioner, taught me a tremendous amount during the 7 years I worked for and with her. I am humbled and grateful to say that several of these amazing people continue to advise, inform and enlighten me to this day.

My next two posts will be out in the next few days. The first will deal with a basic concept of Chinese medicine -- the seasons, specifically the current season, Spring. The second post will deal with a case history (my own) that illustrates an example of translating universal Chinese principles in order to treat a condition of a different culture (and possibly a different gene pool).

Thank you for your interest!

Please send me some questions!

Take good care!

Trey

No comments:

Post a Comment